“The growth of the human mind is still high adventure, in many ways the highest adventure on earth” – Norman Cousins
Now my sweet and lovely eight year old Grand Daughter does not need to attend Memory Matters “Brain Boosters” program. Evidently she already knows much more than her Parents and Grandparents combined! She is practicing “Brain Aerobics”! It is true that our brains are amazing at any and every age and this young lady is a good example of someone born with a curious mind and who is enjoying using it to accumulate knowledge as fast as she possibly can!
This blog is a return to one of my favorite Memory Matters topics. The Brain Boosters Program, designed for those of us who still think we are young in heart, spirit and able to compete in mental gymnastics with eight year olds! I was like that last year when my wife Barbara and I joined the Fall program. We considered that we had perfect memories and rarely needed our memories nudging…………….well almost!
So if you are honest, tell me, are you like me?
- Are you someone who misplaces his glasses regularly only to find them in the garage, car or, far worse, hanging around your neck?
- Do you misplace your car keys?
- Do you forget your shopping list? Now you have Amazon’s “Alexa”, do you forget to put the milk on her list!
- Do you know where you parked your car at Walmart?
- Do you muddle up your Grandkids names or sometimes call one of them the name of their pet dog?
- Do you forget the date, or precisely what your wife asked you remember to do for her? “Never” you shout out loud, but…………………..
- Do you forget appointments or forget to make a note of them?
- Do you lose track of time?
My questions are all asked with a smile on the face of this sixty something year old guy! As we grow older none of us have perfect memories but, we can improve and now is the time to learn some knew ways to compensate for “normal aging”. There are so many myths about aging and the first thing you will learn at Brain Boosters is to differentiate between myth and reality.
So please sign up and join 34 other forward thinking people for an 8 week program commencing on Tuesday May 2nd. The program will be held every Tuesday through June 20th and each session will run from 10am to 12 noon. The venue is the TidePoint Club House and the fee is only a one time payment of $199.
One of the best things you can do for your brain wellness is to learn something new each week. It could be a song, a recipe, a poem, or something meaningful in your life. e.g how to become a Memory Matters Volunteer perhaps; or like me 12 months ago, you might start researching and writing a blog! Joining Brain Boosters would be a step in the right direction.
Join us to learn:
- How emotions impact the formation of memories. Learn about the limbic system often referred to as our emotional brain.
- How automatic negative thoughts (“ANTS”) impact our brain health, and be shocked at just how many tens of thousands of negative thoughts impact the average brain every day of the week! Ah! But what can we do to crush them?
- Learn how to exercise your brain by understanding how to balance reacting versus responding.
- Learn good and proven memory techniques aka mnemonics. How to remember names, places, and the last item on the shopping list. You will astonished at how these techniques work in every day real life!
- How our five senses impact memories.
- How important nutrition and exercise are to a healthy brain. The program is able to give positive examples.
- Yoga, Tai Chi and meditation are centuries old techniques for brain stress reduction. We will review them and provide examples.
Speaking from personal experience I can assure you that this is an enjoyable class and the program leader will quickly develop a great sense of camaraderie in this failure free environment. The 35 students will together have a common goal of learning how to exercise and take care of their brains. The students will be invested, engaged and interactive, and thus a supportive and uplifting community develops from day one!
This is not a strict lecture style class, and every week there will be a new topic to discover and consider, often with group work and role playing to learn new skills and to reinforce what has been learned.
There is always much humor and many like me come to the program with their spouse or a good friend.
For those of you who devote much time and energy to a fitness regime and good nutrition please do not forget that the 3lbs of “squidgy” muscle called your brain deserves the same level of attention……………perhaps more!
So do not delay, these programs fill up fast.
You will be welcome!
Please share this if you believe it would help someone. Call 1 843 842 6688 Memory Matters office for more information. It’s always confidential. Consider joining our next Brain Boosters program or finding our more about our Connections program. We are a phone call away, here in your local community.